Tuesday, March 6, 2012

SUPA SUPA GIRL POWA

or in English... Super Super Girl Power!

Oh ya, it was one of those kind of days. How else do you describe 65 and sunny in South Bend... in March! I'll take it, thank you very much! It's been a while since my last post. Not because I don't have things to say, but because someone has yet to create my thought recorder/transcriber. Hello! All the good ideas come on the run... and they fade to the background once the pounding stops.

Maybe I should do my work from a treadmill?

Back to the amazing day. So, I'm definitely still sore from Sunday's Body Pump class. Yes, that sore. I might have actually strained my bicep. Sounds pathetic, I know. My girl, Kelly, has been swearing by this class forever and I finally had the chance to get to one.

Note to self: Going to your first Body Pump class the day after a long run may not be the best idea.

Today was a medium long run, with the last 10 minutes at a quicker pace (optional). Despite the soreness, I was really looking forward to the run---soaking up the sunshine, stealing some great miles, working out the kinks. Even the wind (and I mean wind) could not be a spoiler today, but I was suspicious of the unsettling feelings at 2.5 miles. I suppose your body will get finicky with such drastic weather changes though.

After the little blip early on, the run was smooth sailing. More than once I felt like I was just hoovering, only barely skimming the top of the pavement. It was so liberating! My pasty white skin saw the sun and was freed from the layers they'd been enveloped in for months. I digress...

I ran down Darden and past Christ the King, one of our Girls on the Run sites this spring, secretly hoping that I would see little heads bobbing around the back of the school. No such luck, but this week is the first week for all of our Girls on the Run sites in Michiana--very exciting! Last I knew there were 66 girls enrolled in the program in five different sites. It has come so far in such a short time. Just last spring I helped coach our first season with 13 girls---and look how we've multiplied!

With our growth comes many new faces. I was fortunate enough to meet our new assistant coaches last week during their training session. Meeting these young women who will bring joy to the program was refreshing. They were enthusiastic, passionate and just fun. After working with the organization for nearly three years (holy crap) it was reassuring to know that the mission will be carried out by individuals who committed to GOTR. During our meeting we got fired up and practiced the energy awards (hint: super super girl power is one of them) and these girls lit it up.

These thoughts and emotions came over me as I passed the grade school--making my run that much better.

No comments: