Highlights of the day include: breakfast in bed, a long run with two former athletes, a fun SMC basketball game, my brother coming into town, and dinner with great friends. Now I just want to nap!
In preparation for my 30th, I reflected back on past years and how I got to where I am today. In the end, I've put together a list of 30 things that I've learned over the years that I want to pass on here.
30 Things I’ve Learned in 30 Years
1. I love that my parents did not let me read Seventeen before I was seventeen, or Teen before I was a teen.
2. People will always be opinionated. Know what opinions matter to you and which are irrelevant. If I listened to everyone’s opinions, I wouldn’t work at Saint Mary’s. Thank you to my parents and John for continually supporting me while I made the tough decision to work crazy hours at multiple jobs to make it by and do what I love, coach.
3. Change is hard. It is not always fun. It usually makes you a better person though.
4. Cry. It’s cleansing.
5. Don’t cry in front of your boss. (unless it’s Julie Schroeder-Biek).
6. Go on a service trip. A whole trip. Not 2 hours of volunteering. Be amazed at how much your heart can grow.
7. Frequently I am mistaken for a college student. Most people tell me to consider this a blessing. I see their point, but it’s really hard to be taken seriously or given much credit when people think you are the one being coached, not the coach! Not sure if turning 30 helps, but the grays might!
8. Girls… get married… don’t get married… whatever you want to do… do it on your time. You’re the only one spending the rest of your life with that person---only do it if you’re ready.
9. Litmus test for a good man= will he go to the store and buy you feminine products? If yes, keep him!!
10. Go to the gynecologist. Yes, this is possibly my least favorite thing to do. However, if you want to have babies, healthy bones and live a long time, get ‘er done. Take charge of your health. (Along with this.. you are supposed to have periods… if you’re not---something’s wrong!)
11. If I had a dollar for every time my dad told me “Life isn’t fair,” to my “It’s not fair!” tirades as a child I could retire tomorrow. As it turns out, per usual, he was right. Life’s not fair. So you figure out how to make it work.
12. I was a feminist before I knew the word.
13. It doesn’t matter how competent I am… if I’m asked to speak in front of a large group of people, I WILL pit out. Look for it and please make a joke. It will make me feel better. Although I have tried to go to all sleeveless options when put in these circumstances.
14. Respect is earned. For those that choose the, “I’m your elder” route… good luck.
15. Someone is always worse off than you. Keep it in perspective.
16. If your parents parent while you are a child, there’s a pretty good chance you’ll be friends when it counts. I’m so thankful for this in my own life.
17. You can only really help others when you’re ok yourself. Start on the home front, so you can be better for everyone.
18. One of the lessons at Girls on the Run is illustrated through a tube of toothpaste. Can you put the toothpaste back in once it is squeezed out? Hardly. You can try. It gets messy. Therefore we should only squeeze out what we need when we need it. We need to take the same approach with our words. Be careful with what we say, because once it’s out there, you can’t take it back, try as you might. If you don’t know how you feel about something—wait. Sometimes the damage caused by hurtful words can never be repaired.
19. I’m not a morning person. At all. However, I have been known to do some major fist pumping to Lady Gaga at 5:15am on the way to morning practices. Just saying, I <3 SMC XC.
20. Being “little Bauters” was tough. In high school there were the running and academic comparisons; as well as the inability to date certain guys. Today, the only consolation is that I know if I do half of the amount of good in my life as John, I’ll die a happy person. Keep doing what you do best—making the world a better place.
21. I was sued at 17. We won. There are a lot of life lessons in this one. Unfortunately one is that there are some really awful people out there.
22. However, I have been blessed with some of the best friends and family a girl could ever ask for. If everything was gone tomorrow, I’d still be one lucky lady.
23. Exercise. It brings such a genuine clarity of mind. All I need now is a device that I can carry while I run that literally records my thoughts as they free flow. If anyone can create this portable device, count me in! I’m pretty sure I’ve cured cancer, wrote novels, and had general enlightenments on runs that would be noteworthy at this time. However, I find that I return to being a sub-intelligent human being once I stop. At least I know that stuff is still working upstairs…
24. Success doesn’t come overnight. Success comes from hard work, long hours and learning from failure. Remember that failing is part of the gig. Sometimes it might sting but it makes you stronger.
25. Cancer is everywhere. I quite possibly will die of cancer. So here is what I say: Live your life. Love what you do. Know that any day it might end.
26. #25 being said, death sucks. Nothing really ever prepares you for it.
27. College really is the greatest time of your life! I miss my running buddies to rehash weekends and life problems. I miss ‘tea time’ with the Ireland group. I miss eating tots in the old DH. I miss spending 99% of my waking time with my other half, JB. I miss actively learning.
28. I strongly believe that you should have to pass a test in order to procreate.
29. Having your curly and unruly hair (and bangs, mind you) cut on the front porch by your CPA father throughout grade school builds character. That’s what I’m telling myself.
30. Putting yourself “out there” is scary but such a great learning tool. It makes you stronger. Writing this blog scares the crap out of me. I’ve definitely censored thoughts, reconsidered ideas, and tried to keep my audience in mind for perspective, but ultimately feel like I’m sharing a lot of who I am. If we’re honest with ourselves—I don’t know if we can ask for much more.
There are so many other things I could have included, like some of the quotes to live by... but there is only so much time! Look for more in blogs to come. If you have any 'nuggets of wisdom' that you've gleaned from your experiences... share!
No comments:
Post a Comment