So I actually had a lot of things to say today after an inspiration draught, but then I headed out on my run. Those thoughts will have to be put on hold. It was a gorgeous day as far as South Bend December weather goes... .sunny...almost 40 and none of the white stuff on the ground. I ran down Angela and along the river until I made my way into downtown South Bend. I was loving the run...feeling free. The lungs were stinging just a little bit with the chill and then I was reminded of why I'm training... what I'm running for.
On one of the corners downtown a mother (assuming) and two young children were walking along the sidewalk. The little boy looked to be 2 or 3 years old. The little girl appeared to be 5 or 6. In my 20 odd seconds of bypassing, the mother yelled at the little girl---loud enough so you could hear her all too easily. She made some wise remark to the little girl, who probably asked what seemed like a very reasonable question to a 5 year old. Then the mother bent down to her level and (still) in a loud voice asked her if she was deaf and repeated what she had said before... that should could not do X because...
This momentary scene stung. I wish I could have done something for the girl. Defended her against her mother. Let her know that she's not worthless or a bother or... deaf. This instance reminded me why I am running this marathon for Girls on the Run though. For girls like this 5 year old, who have been taught at an early age that they are in the way... that their voice doesn't count... and they should not stand up for themselves. These are the girls that we hope to give scholarships so that they can discover that what is on the inside does count---even if 'the most important' people in their lives to that point might not believe it. These are the girls that Girls on the Run will help find their voices so they can stand up for what they believe.
I'm pretty sure at this point I picked up the pace. 6.6 miles. Check.
No comments:
Post a Comment